Monday, August 29, 2016

Cleaning a patio umbrella with Wet and Go.



We had power-washed our patio and repainted our patio furniture,
but our yellow umbrella was looking very dirty
with mold and mildew stains.

See the before picture below.


So we sprayed it with a product called Wet and Go.  Time and weather
was supposed to do the rest.

As you can see, it did.  Look again at the first photo.

This is month after spraying with Wet and Go and 
waiting.

The fade marks are still there, but it looks so much better
without the black and green mold and mildew.

I was not paid for my post.  I bought the product at my local
hardware store and just want to pass the results along.

A new umbrella cover would have been almost $200 so trying this simple cleaning method
was a real money saver.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A pop of color.



I have simple "easy to take care for" landscaping.  Most of it in shades of green 
and white.

I love how easy it is to take care for, but this year I decided it needed a
Pop Of Color.


All of our outdoor furniture has been spray painted the same color.

Satin oregano by Rustoleum.

We already had the yellow umbrella so I added aqua chair cushions
from Amazon for $7.50 each.


And painted an old plastic pot and broken vase the same shade of aqua.

We are only a couple blocks from the beach and I think
the aqua adds a nice beachy feel.

I used gloss Rustoleum.  Easy peasy.


Above you can see how nice the rusty bench below looks
with a new coat of paint.

Instead of a more expensive bench cushion, I used two chair cushions.


We have had this bench for over 20 years.

Over the years it took on a nice rusty look.
but it wasn't practical for sitting.

I washed the bench, scraped the loose rust with a wire brush,
sanded the surface rust and then spray painted it
oregano.


I bought this inexpensive metal potting table from Amazon.

It was gunmetal gray.  I painted it oregano and added
the repainted plastic pot (with late-season discounted flowers) and broken vase.

What do you think?

Just enough Pop of Color to keep things 
from being boring?

Monday, August 22, 2016

Done! Fix a rotted window sill.



Repaired potting shed window sill!



Here is a reminder of where I started.

A photo of the hole I found after I cleaned
all the rot away.

 


First I had to add a "floor" so I had something to support the new sill.

Before I put the "floor" in I treated the surrounding wood with
a fungicide and an insect treatment.  The next day I added a 
wood hardener to the old wood.

I used a scrap piece of wood I had in the basement for the floor.

I pounded it into place so I had a tight fit.




My local fence contractor puts out scraps of wood in a bin in front of their shop.
I cut the sill from a scrap of cedar I found in the bin.

Around the sill I added 2 part epoxy to fill in the smaller spaces.

Each of the steps takes a day because each product needs to dry.



The last step was to paint the sill with "Beyond Paint," which is a wonderful 
indoor and outdoor paint that is both a primer and finish coat.

And it sticks to anything.

Done.  Now onto the next late summer project.